Man About The House, George and Mildred, Robin's Nest
Welcome to the Man About the House, George and Mildred and Robin's Nest Fan Club!

To join the fun, and natter about this trio of classy sitcoms, please register or log-in.

Guests are welcome to post, but it would be nice to make yourself a proper member!
Welcome to the Man About the House, George and Mildred and Robin's Nest Fan Club!

To join the fun, and natter about this trio of classy sitcoms, please register or log-in.

Guests are welcome to post, but it would be nice to make yourself a proper member!
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

A Fan Club Celebrating three of the finest sitcoms ever written!

HomeHome  GalleryGallery  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log in  
Welcome to the Man About the House, George and Mildred and Robin's Nest Fanclub!.....................................A newly opened discussion portal for a trio of Britian's best-loved situation comedies...

Brian Murphy (George)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
George Roper
Admin
George Roper

Brian Murphy (George) Empty
PostSubject: Brian Murphy (George)   Brian Murphy (George) EmptySat Dec 12, 2009 3:21 pm

Brian Murphy (born 25 September 1933 in Ventnor, Isle of Wight) is a British actor.

Although a prolific actor in many films and theatre productions for almost half a century, Murphy's most famous role was as the henpecked husband George Roper in the sitcom Man About the House and spin-off George and Mildred.

He was called up to do his military service at RAF Northwood, where he met future The Good Life actor Richard Briers. Murphy was a member of Joan Littlewood's Theatre Workshop (alongside Yootha Joyce), and a jobbing actor in the 1960s and early 1970s, combining his theatre work with appearances in television shows such as The Avengers, Z Cars and Dixon of Dock Green, before being cast in the role which would make him a household name.

In Man About The House, Murphy played the lazy and scheming George Roper, a sub-letting landlord of a house converted into flats who had a young man and two women renting the flat above. His wife, Mildred, was played by Yootha Joyce. Her domineering, social-climbing characteristic was a sharp contrast to George's desire for an easy and quiet life and the pairing were an instant hit. A contributing factor to their immediate chemistry was the fact they had been friends for many years. Aside from their Theatre Workshop years, Murphy starred in Yootha Joyce's very first movie, Sparrows Can't Sing in 1963. When Man About The House reached a conclusion in 1976, a spin-off was created for Murphy and Joyce, entitled George and Mildred. This ran for five series until 1979. Murphy reprised his role in feature films of both sitcoms. Yootha Joyce died in 1980.

Murphy returned to the theatre but has been sporadically on television ever since, with memorable roles in On Your Way, Riley (1985} as Arthur Lucan, Lame Ducks (as a private investigator); The Bill (as a drunken tramp dressed as an elf at Christmas); comedy series One Foot in the Grave starring Richard Wilson (playing a character called Mr Foskett); Last of the Summer Wine (as Alvin Smedley); Brookside; and as a shopkeeper called Stan in Wizadora . He most recently made an appearance on The Catherine Tate Show.
Back to top Go down
https://manaboutthehouse.forumotion.com
Steve from Cwmbran

PostSubject: Re: Brian Murphy (George)   Brian Murphy (George) EmptySat Dec 18, 2010 9:22 am

As far as I am concerned, Brian Murphy is now Britain's joint funniest man (with Ken Dodd).

I would reallly like to see him live. Does anyone know if there is any chance of this in the near future?

Also, I would like to contact him direct to make sure he knows how brilliant I think he is. Is there an address to post him a letter?

My mum, dad and sister saw George and Mildred the show live on the pier at Bournemouth in the early 70s. They also saw Brian and Yootha (with her dog) in the bar after. My regret is that is was off doing my teenage rebellion bit.

I am really looking forward to Benidorm and hope that it is a role he can get his teeth into, unlike the lacklustre Last of the Summer Wine (where every part was mediocre).

Keep smiling.
Back to top Go down
George Roper
Admin
George Roper

PostSubject: Re: Brian Murphy (George)   Brian Murphy (George) EmptyWed Feb 23, 2011 5:21 am

I dont think Brian doesnt any shows, alas. Ken Dodd does though, and I agree, both are legendary Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://manaboutthehouse.forumotion.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brian Murphy (George)   Brian Murphy (George) Empty

Back to top Go down

Brian Murphy (George)
Page 1 of 1